The funds are managed by local groups in Nicaragua, responding to needs for shelter and food, for medical attention and education.
We provide funds to help with staff (these include a nurse, educators, a nightwatch person), materials (eg basic first aid kits, bed linen, toys and books,) and day to day costs (food, personal hygiene items, hospital/surgery travel costs). All staff are recruited by the groups locally, and all materials are sourced locally wherever possible.
Organisations supported since 2008
- Los Quinchos, San Marcos (providing homes to streetkids)
- El Barrilete, León, (an afterschool centre with some residential children)
- MamaLicha Clinic, Estelí, (midwife, direct care and training)
- Estelí Muralistas, (promoting healthcare and social awareness through murals)
- Gustavo Herdocia, León, for Nicaplast, (reconstructive surgery in León and remote areas)
Organisations supported since 2014
- AspanicaSole, (supporting families of children with cancer)
- Cecamo, (supporting women who suffer domestic violence)
- Escuela de Comedia y Mimo, (afterschool centre feeding 60+ children)
Our aim currently is to maintain this level of support and make it more secure on a year to year basis rather than to expand support to further groups.